I want to share with you a few of the reasons we’re so enthusiastic about our Fair Trade partnerships, and why we’re eager to have your ongoing support.
- Aid through trade is best. Handouts can become “sit-down money” that stifles initiative and self-help. But a trading relationship encourages self-reliance. Fair Trade takes it a step further by guaranteeing a fair price for producers.
- Fair Trade values artisan skills. Your purchase of Fair Trade items helps ensure craft skills are handed on to the next generation.
- Loosen the grip of the multinationals. Every dollar spent with a Fair Trade Organization (FTO) instead of a mega-corporation helps bring power back into the hands of people who need it most.
- Eco-friendly production. Sustainable production is a high priority for FTOs. Care for the local environment is just one of ten standards that FTOs have to comply with.
- Child-friendly production. FTOs are also required to meet international standards on child labour and forced labour.
So please do take a good look at the Fair Trade section of our online shop.
New Internationalist Australia is a registered Fair Trade Organization, and we’re also a non-profit, so any proceeds from sales are ploughed back into action for global justice. Your support does good work at every level. Thank you.