A super-soft, fine 6 - 7 cm natural sponge ideal for applying and removing makeup, and more than gentle enough for a baby sponge. 100% natural, with no impregnated chemicals, sea sponges are a popular gift for new born babies among native Pohnpeins, who often use sponges for massaging babies with coconut oil. They are also great for art projects.
To apply liquid foundation simply wet the sponge with water, squeeze out excess water, and use to apply foundation. To remove makeup simply wet sponge, add a little facial cleanser if desired, and wipe gently. Cosmetic sponges can be cut if desired to get a flat surface.
These natural sponges are the only truly ecologically farmed sea sponges in the world. They are grown on organic farms in Pohnpei, Micronesia by local farmers. The sponge farming does not deplete wild sponge populations or damage coral reefs.
The sponge comes individually packaged in a raw silk gift bag hand-woven by members of the Cambodian Handicraft Association for landmine and polio disabled, making it an ideal, thoughtful gift for a friend.
Why buy a Pohnpei sponge?
- Sustainably grown rather than harvested from wild stocks. Sponges are grown from small cuttings taken from cultured broodstock sponges in the crystal clear waters of Micronesia. Cuttings are attached to floating lines and left to grow for around 2 years before harvesting. No chemicals are used in the farming process.
- Contain no toxic chemicals. Many synthetic sponges are impregnated with disinfectants or antibacterial compounds that may cause allergic reactions. These sponges are cleaned without using any harsh chemicals.
- Support local communities by promoting sustainable livelihoods and contributing to protecting the environment. Micronesian sponge farmers receive a very good return for their time with an hourly wage that is much higher than the minimum local wage.
- Natural antibacterial and antifungal properties that prevent the growth of bacteria, mould, and mildew in the sponge without requiring any chemicals.
- Biodegradable, renewable resource. They are not manufactured from petroleum products.
Care for your sponge
These sponges are very durable and will last for years with proper care:
- Rinse in clean water after use, then squeeze to expel water.
- For extra cleaning soak in 2 cups of water with a tablespoon of baking soda for one hour.
In the sheltered lagoons of Pohnpei, sustainable sea sponge farming has created a viable alternative income for impoverished local farmers.
Subscribe to this fantastic journal. It's the only media organisation that I really trust nowadays!
The New Internationalist is a world leader in communicating development, environmental and social justice issues. It is a publication designed to lift the consciousness of people around the world for a sustainable and peaceful future. Also in pursuit of an equal and just world, Amnesty International is proud to be associated with the New Internationalist.
The Education Web Guide team were particularly impressed by the quality and educational content (of the New Internationalist magazine)
I am really happy with your products and service. In particular "The New Internationalist" is a great resource for our Certificate 1V IN WOMEN'S EDUCATION where we study Global Issues for Women.
A little about Asha Handicrafts: Asha Handicrafts provides the security of markets to small scale artisan workshops around India, like ANSA, the soapnut harvesters in Tamil Nadu.
New Internationalist Australia is a member of the World Fair Trade Organization, which means we have to stock a percentage of Fair Trade products, and also adhere to Fair Trade practices ourselves. Great for supporting producers rights, and also for our staff.
Sign-up for our free monthly email newsletter. We'll update you on new products that have just arrived and sales items.