- 246 million children are child labourers
- 73 million working children are less than 10 years old
- Each year, 22000 children die in work-related accidents
- The largest number of working children - 127 million - age 14 and under are in the
- 8.4 million children are trapped in slavery, trafficking, debt bondage, prostitution and pornography
- Most children work in the informal sector without legal or regulatory protection
- No country is immune: There are 2.5 million working children in the developed economies, and another 2.5 million in transition economies
The Fairtrade standard ensures that producers meet certain social, economic and environmental criteria. These include ensuring that all workers in the supply chain receive at least the national minimum wage; that there is no child labour involved in production; that the health and safety of workers is safeguarded.
For slightly older kids, (from 5 to 90) we've also got a range of fun, inspirational and educational games to choose from.
A little about Global Mamas: Global Mamas is a Fair Trade cooperative in Ghana, West Africa, supporting the sustainable development of women artisans producing fair trade products
New Internationalist Australia is a member of the World Fair Trade Organization, which means we have to stock a percentage of Fair Trade products, and also adhere to Fair Trade practices ourselves. Great for supporting producers rights, and also for our staff.
Sign up for our free email newsletters. We'll bring you fresh ideas and inspiring stories from our global network of community leaders and activists who are working for equality and a liveable planet.