- 246 million children are child labourers
- 73 million working children are less than 10 years old
- Each year, 22000 children die in work-related accidents
- The largest number of working children - 127 million - age 14 and under are in the
- 8.4 million children are trapped in slavery, trafficking, debt bondage, prostitution and pornography
- Most children work in the informal sector without legal or regulatory protection
- No country is immune: There are 2.5 million working children in the developed economies, and another 2.5 million in transition economies
The Fairtrade standard ensures that producers meet certain social, economic and environmental criteria. These include ensuring that all workers in the supply chain receive at least the national minimum wage; that there is no child labour involved in production; that the health and safety of workers is safeguarded.
For slightly older kids, (from 5 to 90) we've also got a range of fun, inspirational and educational games to choose from.
New Internationalist supports Fair Trade producers like Mahaguthi Craft with a Conscience. Fair Trade promotes a fair wage and fair working conditions, encouraging developing world producers to help themselves.
A little about Mahaguthi Craft with a Conscience: Mahaguthi Craft supports the development of micro-enterprises and helps disadvantaged producers improve their quality of life in Nepal.
New Internationalist Australia is a member of the World Fair Trade Organization, which means we have to stock a percentage of Fair Trade products, and also adhere to Fair Trade practices ourselves. Great for supporting producers rights, and also for our staff.
Sign-up for our free monthly email newsletter. We'll update you on new products that have just arrived and sales items.