A super-soft, fine 5 - 6 cm sponge ideal for applying and removing makeup, and gentle enough for your baby's face and body. 100% natural, with no impregnated chemicals, sea sponges are a popular gift for new born babies among native Pohnpeins, who often use sponges for massaging babies with coconut oil. They are also great for art projects.
To apply liquid foundation simply wet the sponge with water, squeeze out excess water, and use to apply foundation. To remove makeup simply wet sponge, add a little facial cleanser if desired, and wipe gently. Cosmetic sponges can be cut if desired to get a flat surface.
These natural sponges are the only truly ecologically farmed sponges in the world. They are grown on organic farms in Pohnpei, Micronesia by local farmers. The sponge farming does not deplete wild sponge populations or damage coral reefs.
The sponge comes individually packaged in a raw silk gift bag hand-woven by members of the Cambodian Handicraft Association for landmine and polio disabled, making it an ideal, thoughtful gift for a friend.
Why buy a Pohnpei sponge?
- Sustainably grown rather than harvested from wild stocks. Sponges are grown from small cuttings taken from cultured broodstock sponges in the crystal clear waters of Micronesia. Cuttings are attached to floating lines and left to grow for around 2 years before harvesting. No chemicals are used in the farming process.
- Contain no toxic chemicals. Many synthetic sponges are impregnated with disinfectants or antibacterial compounds that may cause allergic reactions. These sponges are cleaned without using any harsh chemicals.
- Support local communities by promoting sustainable livelihoods and contributing to protecting the environment. Micronesian sponge farmers receive a very good return for their time with an hourly wage that is much higher than the minimum local wage.
- Natural antibacterial and antifungal properties that prevent the growth of bacteria, mould, and mildew in the sponge without requiring any chemicals.
- Biodegradable, renewable resource. They are not manufactured from petroleum products.
Care for your sponge
These sponges are very durable and will last for years with proper care:
- Rinse in clean water after use, then squeeze to expel water.
- For extra cleaning soak in 2 cups of water with a tablespoon of baking soda for one hour.
In the sheltered lagoons of Pohnpei, sustainable sponge farming has created a viable alternative income for impoverished local farmers.
New Internationalist is an ongoing education and a monthly reminder of our common humanity. A wonderful readable guide to the social and political forces that shape our world...With its hard-hitting coverage of world affairs, evocative first-person essays, sweeping exposes of such topics as land mines and the geopolitics of blue jeans, the New Internationalist offers a consistently unique and important perspective on global culture.
The New Internationalist is exactly the sort of intelligent, committed and progressive publication which here at The Chaser, we strongly disapprove of.
I cannot do without your caring, enlightening publication.
I can certainly commend the New Internationalist for quick postage & handling - I ordered it on the web and it arrived at my door within 2-3 days, awesome compared to the usual 1 month+ with Amazon!
New Internationalist supports Fair Trade producers like The Chetna Organic Cotton Project. Fair Trade promotes a fair wage and fair working conditions, encouraging developing world producers to help themselves.
A little about The Chetna Organic Cotton Project: Say NO to pesticides that poison three million people every year, and help make trade fairer at the same time.
New Internationalist Australia is a member of the World Fair Trade Organization, which means we have to stock a percentage of Fair Trade products, and also adhere to Fair Trade practices ourselves. Great for supporting producers rights, and also for our staff.
Sign-up for our free monthly email newsletter. We'll update you on new products that have just arrived and sales items.