A luxurious 10 -12 cm sponge that is as soft as lamb's wool when wet and lathers beautifully. Ideal as a luxurious, sensual bath sponge, an eco-friendly, non-toxic cleaning sponge, or a paint applicator for art and craft projects, they are 100% natural and no harsh chemicals are used in their processing.
These natural sponges are the only truly ecologically farmed sponges in the world. They are grown on organic farms in Pohnpei, Micronesia by local farmers. The sponge farming does not deplete wild sponge populations or damage coral reefs.
The sponge comes in a raw silk gift bag that is hand-woven by members of the Cambodian Handicraft Association for landmine and polio disabled, making it an ideal, thoughtful gift for a friend.
Why buy a Pohnpei sponge?
- Sustainably grown rather than harvested from wild stocks. Sponges are grown from small cuttings taken from cultured broodstock sponges in the crystal clear waters of Micronesia. Cuttings are attached to floating lines and left to grow for around 2 years before harvesting. No chemicals are used in the farming process.
- Contain no toxic chemicals. Many synthetic sponges are impregnated with disinfectants or antibacterial compounds that may cause allergic reactions. These sponges are cleaned without using any harsh chemicals.
- Support local communities by promoting sustainable livelihoods and contributing to protecting the environment. Micronesian sponge farmers receive a very good return for their time with an hourly wage that is much higher than the minimum local wage.
- Natural antibacterial and antifungal properties that prevent the growth of bacteria, mould, and mildew in the sponge without requiring any chemicals.
- Biodegradable, renewable resource. They are not manufactured from petroleum products.
Care for your sponge
These sponges are very durable and will last for years with proper care:
- Rinse in clean water after use, then squeeze to expel water.
- For extra cleaning soak in 2 cups of water with a tablespoon of baking soda for one hour.
In the sheltered lagoons of Pohnpei, sustainable sponge farming has created a viable alternative income for impoverished local farmers.
To build that future, we need a generation of everyday heroes, people who Äì whatever their walks of life Äì have the courage to think in fresh ways and to act to meet this planetary crisis head-on. This book belongs in the library of every person who aspires to be part of that generation.
The activities demonstrated in this model were excellent. Because of their hands-on nature they enabled the students to engage immediately with the whole question of place.
The application of the companyÄôs technology has had a significant role in promoting education and access to life-changing information to isolated communities in the developing world: to date, over 100,000 Lifeline radios (powered by Freeplay technology) are being used in humanitarian projects in over 20 countries.
Monbiot is one of the best informed people on the planet.
A little about Baladarshan: Baladarshan is a Fair Trade Organisation marketing the products of Chennai slum women working through the SPEED foundation.
New Internationalist Australia is a member of the World Fair Trade Organization, which means we have to stock a percentage of Fair Trade products, and also adhere to Fair Trade practices ourselves. Great for supporting producers rights, and also for our staff.
Sign-up for our free monthly email newsletter. We'll update you on new products that have just arrived and sales items.