Nothing sits closer to your skin than your underwear, so why wear smalls that have been made with chemicals, bleaches and all that nasty nonsense? This fair trade underwear, made by Rajlakshmi, our cotton producer in India, for the Etiko label in Australia, is made of cotton that has been certified both Organic and Fairtrade. So, while you can enjoy the latest in style, the farmer who grew it for you isn't suffering from pesticide poisoning and the worker who stitched it is enjoying life instead of sending us bad JuJu.
Men's briefs, black, four sizes available:
Please note that for hygiene reasons underwear can only be returned if it is faulty.
Benefits for you:
- You'll be more content knowing the producers and the planet have been treated well.
- Your cotton goods are free of allergy-causing toxic pesticides and insecticides.
- You'll enjoy top quality goods from the expert Indian craftspeople at Rajlakshmi.
Benefits for the producers and the planet:
- Organic clothing production means no toxic pesticides and insecticides are used in cotton growing. That means better health and less debt for the Indian farming families.
- Traditional cotton growing uses about 60% of all toxic chemicals used in India, so moving to organic production makes a huge difference.
- The organic cotton growing is certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard.
- The Chetna Organic Farmers Association is registered by FLO-International (Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International) which ensures a fair price and conditions for the farmers. This FLO registration also ensures cotton production:
- Is child-labour free
- Is produced by small & marginal farmers
- Is socially responsible for its farmers and farm-workers in the production chain
- Is absolutely free of GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms)
- Cotton spinning is done in a factory that is ILO (International Labour Organization) compliant and also ISO 9001:2000 (quality management) certified.
- The factories producing the final products are meeting all ILO requirements for their workforces (in fact they do better than ILO requirements, for example by providing primary and secondary education for the workers' children, and a revolving loan scheme for workers).
- Whenever dyes are used the organic fabric dyeing process is GOTS certified
In brief the Etiko team in Australia, along with our project partners at Rajlakshmi Cotton Mills and the Chetna Organic Famers Association in India, are working very hard to ensure that conditions in the entire production chain exceed the goals of the Clean Clothes Campaign
Say NO to pesticides that poison three million people every year, and help make trade fairer at the same time.
These are the most comfortable underwear that I have purchased in a long time. It is a shame they are not available in other colours or as boxer briefs, but I would recommend them either as a gift or if you are feeling you need to give yourself some luxury.
I cannot do without your caring, enlightening publication.
New Internationalist magazine is a fantastic, informative "tell it like it really is" read and gives me an insight into what is actually going on on this poor battered planet we temporarily inhabit.
Proud to help... read you cover to cover
New Internationalist supports Fair Trade producers like Mahaguthi Craft with a Conscience. Fair Trade promotes a fair wage and fair working conditions, encouraging developing world producers to help themselves.
A little about Mahaguthi Craft with a Conscience: Mahaguthi Craft supports the development of micro-enterprises and helps disadvantaged producers improve their quality of life in Nepal.
New Internationalist Australia is a member of the World Fair Trade Organization, which means we have to stock a percentage of Fair Trade products, and also adhere to Fair Trade practices ourselves. Great for supporting producers rights, and also for our staff.
Sign-up for our free monthly email newsletter. We'll update you on new products that have just arrived and sales items.